Monday, December 30, 2013

My (almost) Two Year Old Teacher

Maybe I should be resting. I will be 39 weeks pregnant on Thursday (yikes!) But honestly, I just want to blog about this epiphany I had the other day.

It came about after I pulled Aria out of the fish pond at the library last week. My friend texted me and said, "Jody, you are a WARRIOR!" To be honest, I didn't feel much like a warrior, I felt more like a bad mom who's child almost drowned or almost died of hypothermia. This friend was so sweet to encourage me in that way. Something about an encouraging mama who tells you, "good job for saving your kid's life" and not, "why weren't you watching your kid?!" It was definitely what I needed to hear in the moment.

All that got me thinking, yeah, it is kind of like being a warrior. Here I am, hugely pregnant, bending over and fishing her out of the pond. There are times when I'm running after her in the store because she refuses to come. The other night she was digging poop out of her diaper, thankfully we were at my in-laws, so I could just throw her into the tub. She is quick and she is into everything. I like to call her my Wild Card because you never know what you are going to get.

Really, it's like a mommy boot camp and she is training me physically, emotionally and spiritually. Any moment could be a test of my mind, will, emotions and physical strength and agility.

Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that Aria is my Yoda and I am her Luke Skywalker.

Now, I haven't seen a lot of Star Wars, but I do remember the part where Yoda is training young Luke. It's long and hard and Yoda is constantly throwing confusing situations at Luke. He doesn't understand everything that Yoda tells him. It's a pretty intense, frustrating time of training.

I feel as though I am in this Jedi training. Aria is the teacher and I am the student. She knows what is going on. She understands every situation. She is difficult to understand at times. She is teaching me to depend upon the Holy Spirit (the Force). She is much stronger and more physically apt than you would think for her size.

Many times she has proved "baby proof" on medicine bottles wrong.

Several weeks ago I went to church early to play on the worship team and took Levi with me. Ben came later and sat with me during the sermon. He leaned over and told me that Aria had brought him three roaches that morning. One was still alive.

Yes, she is our Yoda. We are her faithful students, ever learning, frustrated at times, in awe of the things she is teaching us to do and in awe of the things she can do. She is fearless, jumping from one piece of furniture to another, maybe not always correctly judging the distance. But she always gets up without many tears. She is tough as nails. Every little sister is required this attribute, big brothers don't stand for that stuff.

She is unpredictable. She may give you a kiss, or she may slap you in the face. We have come to the conclusion that physical violence is one of her love languages. Another one is cuddling. The other day Ben was waiting for her to hug him with his eyes closed. She reached around and smacked him dead on. Lesson learned: never try to hug or kiss Aria with your eyes closed.

She is not necessarily quiet. She has some incredible volume as we say goodbye in our doorway to whoever is driving away. However, she's usually quietly wandering around the house, finding things to get into. You never know where she is or what she could be doing.

Aria, you keep me on my toes. Every day I'm thankful that you make it through. You are the cutest little girl I know and I absolutely cannot get enough of you.

Thank You Lord, for this child. You knew we needed some spice in our lives. Oh the stories we could tell. I love these stories. I love the adventure she takes us on. Thank You Lord. Please protect her, I will not be able to keep her alive without You.

No comments:

Post a Comment