Saturday, February 10, 2018

Lessons to learn


Today we took our kids sledding for Paul's second birthday. Poor Paulo, he hated it. I mean, he was okay with sitting at the top of the hill and watching everyone else go down but going down himself was not his cup of tea. He went down with Ben once on the promise of getting hot chocolate if he did and he screamed and cried the whole time.

Lesson learned: sledding is not too much fun for kids under four years old.

I thought it was just a Simeon thing because Simeon is so sensitive and our other two never had a real snow/sledding experience as two year olds... but legit, Paulo did not enjoy it.

I tried to bring Jethro but that lasted all of 15 minutes and I tried to zip up my coat over him while wearing him. The only thing I succeeded in was breaking the zipper on my favorite coat.

It's okay it was only $10 from Savers. But I still loved it. :(

Ben and Aria went to a father daughter dance this evening. I love getting to dress her up and send her with her daddy to feel special. What a blessing to have a husband who loves her and takes such good care of her.

I also got to share the evening with my four boys, my plan was to take them out for ice cream after dinner. Thankfully we had our surrogate grandparents along for the ride, I don't think I could have made it to Culvers without them.

Paul was a bit of a mess all evening. He didn't want to eat his dinner, he didn't want to put on his boots or his coat either. It reminded me of when Simeon turned two and he cried the whole time. It felt like such a struggle.

Ben and I call it the year of deep dark sadness. Communication is difficult, they get into so many things, there's lots of crying and you telling them "no" and them telling you "no" ... it's basically a really tough year or so. I remember when Levi turned the corner and became a pretty agreeable little three year old and it was such a relief. Now with Paulo being our fourth two year old I feel like I have hope that this is just a season and things will get better. For now I'm praying for patience.

Please Lord, help me to choose my battles wisely, help me to nurture and love and be creative. I need Your guidance Holy Spirit, I need wisdom from You. Thank You for leading me.




No comments:

Post a Comment