Thursday, January 3, 2019

Starting to Blog Again


I have not blogged in let's see... maybe a year?

I am far from a professional, this is more just to record my thoughts about things and what I'm learning.

I've felt a desire to pick it up in 2019, so here it goes.

Topics I'm wanting to write about:
Our homeschooling journey, how we got here and how it's going so far.
My struggle to lose weight after Jethro, our fifth child and how the Whole 30 program kind of changed my life ... and maybe a few other people around me.
Our church and community living. As we have people who live with us and what that looks like and why I love it sooo much.


Homeschooling.

My life often feels like controlled chaos. Or just chaos. Having five kids ages nine and under 24/7 can be a bit overwhelming sometimes. Honestly, I've had to work on my discipline with the kids. The tighter and stronger my discipline the more smooth and happy the days go. When I'm lazy and permissive the days have more frustration and difficulty.

How did I come to the decision to homeschool? Ben and I were homeschooled so it wasn't a foreign concept to us. Ben was all about it, I was too cool for it. Picture the homeschool mom in the jumper and white collar. Picture the kids in the pleated khaki pants with polo shirts... we weren't those types of homeschoolers but we were pretty close. Whatever, looks don't matter.

I digress.

Honestly, we were going to homeschool all along, especially when we saw our children going into the more vulnerable middle school and teen years. We wanted them to be in a place where they could just be themselves and not feel the pressure of hundreds of other kids who want them to fit the mold that everyone else fits in. Also, we wanted to teach them about the Lord and what He has done in our lives and how to walk with Him.

Last year Aria attended kindergarten and Levi was in second grade. We put them on the bus every morning at 8 and they came home around 4. That's a huge chunk of the day that I didn't even see them. I could have volunteered at the school here and there but I'd have to find a babysitter for our other kids and I just didn't have the capacity for going up to the school. Anyways, I didn't see them much, and this is crazy because they were six and eight and still my little children.

I was hit with the fact that I was not the primary influencer in their lives. I also started to realize that not even the teachers (who were amazing and wonderful, kind women) had a ton of influence because my kids were one of about twenty eight kids.

Actually the real deal hit me when I was talking to God about it one day and He was like, "Jody, stop being a wuss." I'm sure He said it a lot gentler and nicer than that, but that's what I realized I was doing, I was literally afraid to homeschool all five of my kids and teach them to read and write and do arithmetic and teach them art and science and history as well as feed and care for each one of them. I thought it would totally exhaust me and Ben would come home to a puddle on the floor. 

I knew I was weak. 

 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 2:9

Honestly, it's a good thing to be weak and frail, because that's when I see God's power work through my surrender to Him. 

I've broken out into cold sweats when talking about "planning for the year" and "getting organized" and "planning your days" I get nauseous when I think about having to choose a curriculum and what if it works or it doesn't and do I really have to go by the book? What in the world do I do with this giant teacher's manual? Can I just use it for a place to put my coffee cup? I settled on Bob Jones because my friend did it and she had some books for it. It's also pretty well laid-out. I think in future years I'll look for a little more creative curriculum. 

Also, what about my workouts and my yoga routine and my baby weight that I was still trying to take off? Would I even still have a life? 

It turns out, having a workout routine a few days a week are extremely necessary for the survival of a homeschool mom. I pack up our math books and we go to the Y every Tuesday and Thursday. I check my littles into childcare and my bigs do their school there. Or they can choose not to, but they will have to do it when they get home. I get on the elliptical for 20 minutes and then do a 30 minute yoga workout in an empty room with my phone BY MYSELF and I LOVE IT. Yes, being alone can be precious time when you're a mom of littles. 

Being with your kids is also precious time though. 

I cannot tell you how much I have thoroughly enjoyed homeschooling my kids this past semester. I get to celebrate them every day. I get to talk about character and where their hearts are at. I have a firm pulse on what each kid needs to work on. I get to pray with them and for them every day. I get to read aloud with them and discover books and stories with them. They come to me and ask for help and I get to say (this is what I have decided to say every time they ask for help) "I love helping you with that! It's my favorite thing to do." I told Aria today that her schooling, my kids were my top priority today and she was like, "Really?" As though it hadn't occurred to her before. Sometimes I get distracted with my phone or other things around the house and I have to apologize to them (especially when it's the phone). 

They also help me with all kinds of chores:
unloading and loading the dishwasher
clearing the table
sweeping (still working on that one)
vacuuming (also still working on that one)
watching little brothers so that mommy can get lunch or dinner made
picking up the house of toys, coats, shoes and whatever else has landed on the floor

I tell them, "This is part of being home-schooled, you learn how to take care of a house. You learn to do important chores like cleaning the bathroom and cooking meals." 

I also love it that they have plenty of time to play and just be themselves. I want them to learn to work hard and to play hard. I get to push them in their studies where they need pushing and give them grace where they are struggling and cheer them on when they are soaring through. 

Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old, he will not depart from it. 
Proverbs 22:6 


No comments:

Post a Comment