Monday, June 11, 2012

Staying home: not for the faint of heart

I just recently saw a post on Facebook about a friend staying at home with her baby. She asked for prayers and said she was excited. I clicked on the comments thinking that I would see a lot of "You're going to be an awesome mommy!" and "You can do it!" Which is perfectly true, of course. But sometimes I feel like others will over simplify this very difficult job. Honestly, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I mean, it's good to be encouraging and uplift but in the back of my mind I was thinking, "It's a lot harder than people think it is."

And so I will write.

Disclaimer: I am not wanting to compare working moms to stay at home moms. I think comparison kills. If you are a working momma I am not knocking what you do at all. That is not why I am writing this post. I am simply writing about being a stay at home mom.

I guess what I want to say is that staying home is a difficult thing, but is well worth it.

Why is it difficult?

Living off of one income in the midst of a culture of two-income families, budgets must be strict and lattes can be few and far between. Ben makes plenty of money, but it just means we won't be doing and buying the things that other around us are doing and buying.

Relationships are difficult. I'm going to be very honest here. I'm not good at just picking up the phone and calling a friend. Usually because I'm tired of being interrupted every two minutes or by the time nap time rolls around I am too exhausted to think about carrying on a conversation.

Okay, I don't want this to sound like complaining. Lord, help me. It's difficult sometimes to be able to get together with other moms. Nap times will be different, finding a place where kids can play and then once you do get together interruptions are inevitable. Being a mom means, absolutely means that your life will be interrupted. It's like this big humbling process that God gives you. You just thought you were flexible before, but having babies will help you see how far you can bend.

I feel like I'm in a constant fight against ... I don't know what to call it. Gravity? Laziness? Intertia? (I looked that one up on Dictionary.com) If I had it my way I would be sitting at home watching TV all day and eating sweets. I have to fight against it. I have to fight against being so sucked into FB or Instagram. I have to make "To Do" lists, I have to get myself out of bed and be my own stinkin' boss because no one is telling me what to do.

Okay, I have like a million more things I want to say on this subject but my eyes keep closing as I write this. I'm thinking I'm going to make a list or something... Also, Aria is telling me to put her to bed with her little whimpers.

Good night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment