Tuesday, June 28, 2011

And your face will be radiant

I was reading about Moses in Exodus today. What an incredible book. I will admit here that I skim/skip the parts about the measurements and requirements for the temple because I'm not in full understanding or appreciation for it right now. I know it's important and I know it is for the glory of God and it is specific and all the elements have meaning, but I'm not studying that right now. I am simply looking at God's interactions with Moses and the Israelites. And that, is truly amazing.

I'm amazed at God's grace for them.
I'm amazed at His judgement.
I'm amazed at His compassion.

This has been so true in my own life. How easily I turn back to my old sin, like a dog returning to it's vomit (Proverbs). And yet, He is slow to anger, abounding in love and compassion. I wish I knew more people who are slow to anger. I'm pretty quick to become angry myself. Someone wrongs me and I'm done. My son or my husband gets on my nerves and my blood is boiling. I think of God as He is sitting on His throne, watching us and we wrong Him, and then He is slow as He reacts. He takes His time, He gives us another chance, He has hope for our hearts as He watches with eyes full of love and grace for us. It is amazing to me.

That was totally a rabbit trail. Sorry. But probably a rabbit trail worth taking. :)

Moses went up on the mountain for the second time to get the commandments from God. He and God have a whole conversation and Moses asks to see God, and God says, you can't look at my face or else you will die (whoa), but I will pass by and speak my name and then after I pass you can see me as I'm going... then Moses gets down on his face and worships God because in that moment it is so clear about his own people's depravity and God's holiness. After that God tells him all of the commands. Moses spent forty days and forty nights on the mountain with God and didn't eat for drink anything (that's miraculous). Then he came down and he was glowing. He was radiant is what it says in my Bible.

It made me remember this verse:
Then you will look and be radiant, your heart will throb and swell with joy; the wealth on the seas will be brought to you, to you the riches of the nations will come.    Isaiah 60:5

When we see Him we will be radiant before Him. I am amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment