Thursday, October 20, 2011

I cannot keep silent... part 2

I guess I could blog while it's burning in my bones. I think apathy too easily takes over, especially in the afternoons and when I'm tired. Especially when I feel too small or too weak. Especially when I'm in the comfort of my own home.

Today I went to a seminar about adoption. It was about abortion too. It was also about Eugenics and the effect it is still having on our society.

I am constantly amazed at the lies that have been woven into our culture. Lies that I have believed. Stuff that I take for granted, "this is just the way things are..." I don't even know where to start. I wish you all could have sat with me and heard this guy, Ryan Bomberger's message. If you are interested you can go to this website: www.toomanyaborted.com Sounds like a weird title right? Well, their stance is that even ONE aborted is too many, just in case you wanted to get legalistic about it and try to complain. Oh well, anything you do, someone is always going to have a problem with it.

I'm not going to try to explain everything. I don't think that I can. In fact, I think I'm getting overwhelmed right now as I write. Honestly, I'm just a middle class white girl. So who am I to be spreading a message about how abortion is a genocide of our babies, particularly black babies. It was intended to be that way. A woman named Margaret Sanger started Planned Parenthood. She believed that black people were inferior to white people and started the Negro Project where she tried to get the black population "under control" by passing out birth control. If you want the whole story click here. It's pretty sickening. And scary.

The truth is that we here in modern day America are allowing abortions to take place every day. 14,000 babies are killed in abortions on a daily basis, white, black, hispanic... it doesn't matter their heritage or their skin color. And you know what I do? Nothing. That might be the saddest part. These babies are never allowed breath in their lungs to even cry out. Helpless? Yes, that would the epitome of helplessness. Psalm 82:3 says,
"Defend the weak and the fatherless,
uphold the cause of the poor and oppressed."  
Have I done this? Maybe I've blogged about it a few times. Yes, I go volunteer at the Crisis Pregnancy Center on Thursday mornings... but really, isn't there something more? Oh my goodness, I want to weep because here I am, sitting my in my nice, comfy chair in my nice warm house on my nice little computer. I know I will have enough food, I'm being distracted by looking at my new Pintrest account and finding things to repin, I am on FB looking at pictures of friends, scrolling down my home feed, I am searching youtube for more Duggar videos I can watch...

Am I really torn up about this? Like, knock down, drag out, torn up. Am I really angry? Do I really have a passion for this thing or am I just letting it stroll on by?

As I was driving home I thought about what Ryan said. Adoption is a scary thing for me. I'm just gonna be honest about that. I have talked to my husband about it like once. I am probably more willing than he is, but I was so okay with him not wanting to adopt that I just dropped it and moved on, probably felt relieved.

Ryan said one of the main problems with the Pro Life movement is that adoption is an afterthought.  It's an afterthought. This is kind of silly isn't it? All these "unplanned" pregnancies that we are fighting for women to keep their babies, but what if they don't have the resources to keep the child? Man, I don't want to paint this in a negative light because I do have a friend who chose to single parent her children and I don't want to lessen what she is doing. At least she chose life for those two babies. But really, we have demonized adoption in our culture. We think that because a child is adopted they will always "feel" like an outsider. Or we think that it will have damaging effects on a mother, don't get me wrong, that has got to be THE hardest thing in the world to carry a child for nine months and then release them to another family, but it's a lot better than taking that child's life before they are born. Maybe some of you can't believe me right now, but it's true, we see it often where the woman would rather abort her baby than give it up for adoption. Let me put that another way, she would rather have her baby killed in her womb than make a choice to save the baby's life, give him or her a chance at a better life than she could afford to give. Yes, we see it quite often.

If I am so pro-life why have I not considered adopting or foster parenting? This is something I need to pray about. 

I'm so sorry if this is offensive. I don't want to offend, but at the same time, I'm not going to gloss over. I'm not going to be silent. Children are a gift from God, I am convinced that there are no "accidents" and that each child as a purpose. Right now I'm thinking of the 14,000 purposes that were destroyed today.

I gotta go. Gotta pray.

1 comment:

  1. You know I don't think it's offensive since I 100% agree. One of the things I learned when I worked for Adoption Advantage is that there is a huge stigma about adoption in the black community - it's really not acceptable in most black families to place a baby for adoption. I did NOT know the part about the founder of Planned Parenthood though - that is really sad.

    ReplyDelete