Thursday, July 12, 2012

Losing Weight part 5

It's been a while since I have posted on this subject. Often I am so exhausted from dealing with two little ones, cleaning, cooking and then cleaning again that by the time nap time or evening comes all I want to do is just sit in the quiet. I want to listen to a podcast and fold laundry, get on my computer and read blogs... I want to do anything but write.

So it's seven in the morning and my children are miraculously still sleeping. I still have a buzz from my coffee ... now is the perfect time!

It's been six months since I've had Aria. Here's the cold hard facts: at the hospital right before I had her they forced me onto their scale (a ridiculous part of having a hospital birth) I weighed 198.
I occasionally step on a scale at my parent's house and the last time I stepped on one I weighed around 160. I have to just think about that for a second. That's 38ish pounds in six months. I'm going to subtract about 12 for baby, placenta and everything, so more like 25 pounds.  So that's like 4 pounds a month, about a pound a week.

I just had to break that down a minute because I haven't even really thought about that yet. Which is the point, not to think about it, not to obsess over it, not to make it a big stinkin' hairy deal. I'm sure some weeks I lost more and some weeks I've felt that I might have gained. I think the point is being faithful and not "falling off the band wagon."

I don't diet. Every time I diet I gain weight. Anyone else have that experience? For the first couple of days you are doing awesome, you are exercising, the adrenaline is pumping, you are losing those first few pounds of water weight, you are counting every calorie, you are drinking water, and then you get to day three. Then you get to the weekend. Then you go on a trip. Then you go to a birthday party. Then your kids are flipping out and all you want to do is eat the pantry... and it all comes crumbling down. This shaky life of dieting is not real and it does not take care of what is most important: the heart.

My heart wants me to go to food when I am tired, emotional or bored. But really, my heart needs Jesus. He is the one who will fill me and sustain me.

God has given me the ability for my body to know when I am hungry and when I'm full. If I obey those signs He has given me then my body will naturally go towards losing weight. I need to stop trying to control the food and start submitting my heart.

The other two things I am doing to sort of help in my weight loss are:
1. Going for a 15-30 minute walk pretty much every morning. The length depends on how I am feeling that day. Not so good, it's 15, feeling really good, it's 30.
2. Breastfeeding. I've read this burns an extra 500 calories a day which is awesome. The only problem is that it also makes me really hungry and I can't go without a meal or many times even a snack because of it. I also think it tends to keep those last 5-10 pounds on you just as your body's coping mechanism. I don't know, we'll see.

But that's basically it. I think weight loss is one of those things that's best not to keep a close eye on, just keep plowing away, living your life, following God and then you will suddenly look up and see yourself so much lighter.

If you have any thoughts on this, please post a comment and let me know.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment