Monday, March 11, 2013

Letters to Littles

Dear Aria,

You are officially a walker. Oh my, how you have longed for this ability. You are now fourteen months, your brother was about this age when he began walking, so as far as I'm concerned you are right on track.

What makes life interesting is that you are also a climber. You continue to amaze me with the things you climb and your fearlessness as you climb them. You don't seem to care about height or laws of gravity or any of those things, you seem to only be determined to get to the top. The other day in the yard you climbed into the wagon and stood straight up. Maybe you just like the perspective from above. You figured out how to get yourself into the wagon by pulling up with your arms, kicking your feet up and sliding into it on your belly. You are creative in your methods. I think Levi would have just stood beside it and cried until I put him in. You are proof that where there is a will, there is a way.

You were also moved to the toddler class at church. I wasn't quite ready for you to go in, but when I went in to check on you I saw you happily toddling about amidst the other babies. I think you especially liked the slide in your new classroom.

You are a determined little walker. I remember the night when you had just begun walking distances by yourself, more than 10-15 steps. I was showing a friend, intending for you to toddle up and fall into my arms. You walked right past me! You were so focused on your little feet, you just didn't want to stop.

Your daddy is very protective of you. I'm the type who will let you wander around in sight, attempt the stairs without me being right there and let you figure things out on your own. Your daddy will hold your little hands and follow you around. He knows that you are precious and small. You are his fragile little flower. He loves it when you laugh and when your smile spreads wide across your face. He definitely has a big soft spot in his heart for you. It makes my heart melt to see it.

You have been developing your little will. Thankfully your temper tantrums aren't that big of a deal right now (I'm sure they will be much worse as we approach your second birthday). They are more so just funny to me. (Note to self: do not laugh in front of my children when they are throwing a tantrum, it will not be beneficial later). Here's what happens: you are told not to touch something, you turn and ever so gently get on your belly and then you start to scream, cry and bang your little fists and feet on the ground. It usually only lasts a few seconds, but it is funny how you try to find a comfortable place where you can stretch out to your full crying potential. No child is taught how to do this stuff, it's just buried deep down inside of them and comes out. Amazing.

You really are a sweet little girl. I know you are going to be a good helper. You like to be in the middle of things, but still have a quiet way about you. I'm praying that you grow to be strong in the Lord. Praying that you will be a place of peace for others in the midst of life's storms. I'm praying that you will value people above things, that you will not struggle with comparison, that you will love at all costs, more than anything, I'm praying that you will love Jesus and accept his payment for your sin. He really is the only thing that can wash clean your sinful heart. Someday I will share with you the story of my brokenness and how he has made me whole again.

I love you my sweet little girl,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment