Monday, April 7, 2014

An Epiphany from The Lord

I really want to spend more than 15 minutes with God in the mornings.

That was my complaint this morning.

Honestly, I have a cold and Simeon kept me up for part of the night last night so I gave myself an extra 45 mins to sleep in… so today it was only 15 minutes.

Lord, help me to spend more time with You today. I need it.

Thankfully God does speak in small segments at times and His mercies are rich to us sleep-deprived moms. He gently leads those with young.

I had decided a while back to just start in Genesis and read through the Bible. I got a new one and it's not marked up (I LOVE marking in my Bible, it's how I have engaging conversations with my Father). I am on chapter 22.



It was the passage where Abraham is asked to sacrifice Isaac. As a burnt offering. That's what my Bible said. Part of me kind of felt revolted by this. Really God? Are you really into human sacrifice? I know you didn't follow through on it, but you told Abraham to do it and isn't that kind of sadistic? Not only that, but God kept emphasizing in the text, "Your only son, the son whom you love…" Really God? Are you going to rub it in his face that this is his only son? The one that he loved?

After reading the whole passage and seeing again, "you have not held from me your only son, the son whom you love" it hit me.

It hit hard.

Oh wait, God did that. He sacrificed His only Son. The Son that He loved. He laid Him down. He caused Him to die a brutal death.

I realized the language God was using completely paralleled later scriptures that talk about how "God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16

I have been thinking about how Easter is coming ... more correctly, Resurrection Day is coming.

Every time I sing about the cross and His sacrifice it brings me to tears. Big gigantic tears, of how my savior bled and died, completely of His own freewill so that I could live.

Lord, thank You for giving Your only Son, the Son You love, to take our place and pay for our sin. I am in complete awe.

No comments:

Post a Comment