Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pregnancy again. :) part 19

Why am I blogging at three in the morning? Two words: pregnancy insomnia. The weird part is that I'm wide awake right now. I'm not sleepy at all. I will be sleepy in the morning. Usually with stuff like this it will suddenly hit me around 5 or 6 am and then it will be rough probably for the rest of the morning unless I can lay down for a few 15 minute spurts here and there. The good thing is that I don't have anything planned for tomorrow except a meeting with my doula at one, so I think it will be okay.

While I'm up I thought I would blog about my most recent pregnancy struggle. Maybe this will wear me out and I will want to go to bed afterwards. :)

My back.
I started going to a chiropractor about a month ago. I had never been to a chiropractor before, but he was recommended by my doula and the birthing center she works with has started recommending chiropractic work in general to pregnant women. Anyways, it sounded logical to me, the strain of all that weight out front, the back pain that is pretty standard during pregnancy, so I started going. I am totally okay with popping. In fact, I love twisting my spine and feeling my back pop and the release that gives. So I had been going for a while, it had been good, my headaches were starting to go away, back pain, yes, I still had it, but it was getting better.

So here's the week: Saturday I woke up and just felt sore. My lower ribs and sides, it was more difficult to breathe (this is normal with how big my uterus is getting). Sunday I was sick with some kind of virus that made me extremely weak, Monday I tried to just rest as best I could... Tuesday I woke up and my left side of my body was in pain. Severe pain. I mean, I would say probably on a scale of 1-10 it was about an 8 or 9. I felt like I had been kicked in the ribs, it hurt to breathe and to just move. The pain felt like it went from just below my ear, down through my shoulder, through my ribs and down through the left side of my back. I kept thinking, if I just keep moving, this soreness will just work itself out. It wasn't until about noon that I realized it was NOT going away. I had an appointment with the chiropractor the next day but I thought, you know what? I'm just going to call them. So I was able to get in an hour later (praise the Lord!!). He asked me some questions and felt around and said, yeah, it looks like your ribs got out of place. So he popped it back into place (along with popping other parts of my back and neck). Now, it wasn't immediate complete relief, but it was better. He gave me an exercise to do to help my mobility and said I should feel better in about 48 hours. It's now Wednesday morning and there is only a slight inkling of pain as I breathe.

Lesson learned: watch my posture in how I sit/sleep/stand. I had been sitting on the computer just doing stuff like Facebook or watching a show with the computer to the side of me. I was unconsciously twisting my back and my ribs. He told me I need to try to do stuff out in front of me. I had been sleeping on my right side, but decided to sleep on my left that night. I feel like this was the straw that broke the camel's back. Aria also has her back to my left side, so I feel like the bulk of her weight was probably resting on my ribs and that's what pushed them out. That's why I woke up that morning in so much pain.

So yeah, that's my latest deal. Just wanted to post about it. I'm feeling much better... now if only I could go to sleep. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment