Friday, March 2, 2012

Losing Pregnancy Weight part 8

Sometimes the only chance you have to blog is at 5:30 in the morning. So here goes...

We live in an instant gratification culture. Everything is right there, right away. Technology is at our fingertips, we can know whatever we want whenever.

I think that this has ruined my ability to be patient. :)

Weight loss is slow. It takes time. I want it to be quick. I want to work really hard and lost ten pounds in a week. I want to just starve myself for a day or exercise super hard for a week and then be the size I want to be. This line of thinking is RIDICULOUS. Weight loss NEEDS to be slow. This is how our bodies were created, if we gain weight it needs to be slow, if we lose it, it needs to be slow. Just think about the nature of the body and how it would be a shock to it if we lost or gained weight quickly.

I have to get my mind around this as I'm trying to lose weight. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon. It's not one quick event, but it is one small choice after another.

I'm just going to be honest here and say the past couple of days I have not been making good choices. I've been pretty tired after spending the day potty training and cleaning the house, so when the kids go down for those moments I have kind of pigged out on chocolate, thinking, "I deserve this" or "this makes me feel better" I found myself doing it again yesterday and I decided I needed to tell Ben. I needed to confess this sin to someone who could hold me accountable.

He came home last night and I told him about it. I kind of love his simple answer. "Well Jody, you know it doesn't matter to me what you eat, I still love you no matter what, but instead of going to food you probably should have cried out to the Lord."

Yep. He's often right.

You see, in my life, weight gain or loss is not so much a physical problem as a spiritual problem that manifests itself physically. Praise the Lord that when I eat too much it shows up on my body. If there were no consequences for this sin, I would probably go to food as my source of comfort and never look back. But God has a good way of keeping my heart in check.

Lord, this is a long, slow process. You are teaching me patience and perseverance. You are teaching me dependance on You, not on food. You are my strength. You are my portion. If I had it my way I would be in my "skinny" jeans tomorrow. But Your ways are far above my ways. You are not concerned with the body, You are concerned with the heart. Refine me and give me wisdom in this process.

I am Yours.

1 comment:

  1. "Amen" on that last paragraph. Thanks for your honesty. I'm praying for you - that the last paragraph would continue to be your mindset. Love you, Jody.

    ReplyDelete