Monday, May 9, 2011

The power of words

I don't write because I think I'm an amazing writer. I'm not. I'm honest, but not particularly skilled at this art form. I don't write because I think that I just have tons of wisdom to give out, I am only a young 26 year old.

I write because I live and learn. And then I learn again. And again.

A wise woman builds her house,
but with her own words a foolish woman tears hers down.
Proverbs 14:1

I am reminded today of how my words can build up and cut down. I had the opportunity to encourage a friend the other day, it was really cool to just build up that person and help them see how God had ordained them. A friend encouraged me the other day. Her words were like a healing balm. Seriously, that's the best I could describe it. Walking away from our encounter I was literally lifted up and felt like I had a soothing balm rubbed on my wounds.

I was thinking this over in my mind today as I was doing laundry and I thought of the converse of encouragement. Thinking of ways that I have "torn down" my household or others around me... my brothers and sisters in Christ. Words have the power of life or death. (Proverbs) The tongue is like a flame and it can start a great forest fire. (James)  I think too often words come a little too quickly out of my mouth... the truth is that I wish I could just suck them right back in, but you can't. It's like they are gone, never to be taken back.

My friend texted me the other day and said she felt like God was telling her she needed to be more silent. What a good reminder that sometimes it is good to be silent before the Lord.

Not that it is terrible to speak or that you are automatically a fool if you do, but I think I need to begin to weigh my words. Man, I want to speak some life over my kids. I want to speak way more life than I do death. I've seen parents speak life and I've heard them speak death and the results are pretty astounding. I'm praying for wisdom in this area. Praying that I will be gentle and patient and kind. That I will discipline and be firm, but I will have love coming out of my pores for my kids.

Dealing with Levi this morning, there were moments when I wanted to scream. When he was whining at my feet as I'm trying to put together my grocery list and the kitchen is a mess with crumbs crunching under my feet (this is after we swept just two days ago) and I am stressed out and hot and sweaty because I'm not used to this humidity yet. .... Lord, help me to be gentle in spirit towards my kids. Help me to hear them and love them. Help me to have patience.

Let me be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. James 1:19

No comments:

Post a Comment