Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Preparing for DST... mommy style

If it were up to young moms we would not have Daylight Savings Time. Maybe if it were up to me we would never have it off. I much prefer it to be light outside when my husband comes home. I don't mind it being dark for so long in the mornings... but alas, I am not the DST moderator or the president or anything like that. So I suppose I just have to go with the flow.

Calling all moms: DST is November 4th this year.

Some of you may be asking, "Why is this important?"

Let me just explain. If you are asking this question you probably have a child less than a year old. That's what I had when I experienced my first "Fall Back" DST.  Levi was probably about 11 months old. I don't remember the Spring Forward one because in that case your child ends up waking an hour later, but in the case of the fall, just watch out!
Your sweet little baby that used to wake up at 6:30 -7 every morning will now for some reason wake up at 5:30, maybe even earlier because the universe is cruel. They didn't get the memo about how we are going to sleep an hour later now.

If you have not struggled with this before and you have kids then you can count yourself blessed.

My first year was quite a shock and it took a good week to get used to this new schedule.

So I guess I just wanted to post about what I do for my babies this time of year. I'm posting about a month beforehand cause sometimes this process takes a while. I'm also posting with the full knowledge that things will probably not go according to my little "plan" with my kids. I really need to post about babies and superstition. I'm not superstitious, I promise... except when it comes to babies.

Well, it's really simple actually. I just start pushing things back. I start to push bedtimes back just a bit, maybe ten or fifteen minutes. Then I start to push naptimes back just a bit, and I keep working my way back and back. If by the time DST rolls around and I have only pushed things back by 30 mins then at least I'm 30 mins ahead of the curve.

I also don't like to immediately go get my kids out of their crib in the morning. Unless they sound like they are in serious pain or something (This is especially good when they are old enough to sit up, crawl around a bit or entertain themselves. You know as a mom when they are trying to manipulate and when they seriously need to be gotten up). I feel like it's important for them to be able to entertain themselves. Now, I have to make sure that I don't altogether forget about them (one time I did forget about poor Levi and didn't go get him for like an hour and a half, I felt really terrible about that).

Anyways, sometimes those things can be pushed back. The thing is that you don't want to go doing it all at once. You want it to be almost unnoticeable. Also, it depends on how rigid the child's schedule is. Levi's schedule was very clear but Aria's is more up in the air, a little more free. I'll have to write something about post DST this year with a two year old and a ten month old and let you know how it went.

Okay, those are my thoughts about DST. Does anyone have any other suggestions or thoughts? I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment