Saturday, February 2, 2013

Thoughts on Cooking


I really want to write about my growth from not cooking at all to basically cooking every meal. Well, I don't always cook breakfast and lunch is often just a sandwich and chips, but almost every evening I get to cook. Yes, I said get to.

Sometimes I hate cooking. Usually I hate meal planning. The old me still crawls out and says, I can't do this! I don't want to think about meals, I don't want to try to plan what groceries we will buy and what sales I will try to take advantage of, I don't want to think about what I will have to fix for the people who are coming for dinner this week... I can be really good at complaining.

 I think I just struggle with laziness. I also struggle with wanting to save money and not spend a million dollars at the grocery store. It's very easy to spend millions of dollars at the grocery store. I told Ben that my idea of wealth is that if you can go to Whole Foods and fill your cart up, that's when you are rich. Until then, I'll be content with what God has given me and do the best that I can.

Okay, I just have to say this... it's like word vomit, maybe honesty room: sometimes when people blog about food it feels like they are bragging. Why does it feel that way? I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm envious that they can cook so well or take pictures so well... I'm thinking that my own heart is the problem. It's also annoying to me when people gush.

Food is meant for our sustenance. I'm also amazed that God made it to be enjoyed. That is crazy to me. Three times a day (sometimes more... if you have little kids) you get to enjoy putting food in your mouth and just tasting it, it gives you a satisfied feeling, it's just incredible. Why do I not worship God every time I take a freaking bite?!

Hmmmm. Maybe it's because I have used food as an idol and gone to it for comfort instead of God. Moses told the Israelites in the second commandment not to be tempted to worship created things. He used examples like the sun and moon, but I wonder if it could be applied in my life at times as the sweetness of sugar or savoriness of salt. This is a difficult thing Lord. Your commands are good and wise.

But that's not what I'm talking about in this post.

Slowly but surely God is showing me how to feed my family, how to bless others with a meal, what is the meaning of cooking and serving in this way. He is teaching me about being prepared and having an open door to outsiders. He is teaching me that my time is not my own. There is a joy in giving good gifts to others.

This week I am fixing:
Fajitas
Spicy Penne Pasta
Sweet Potato Lentil Soup

Lord, help me to be humble and thankful for your good gift of food. I pray that our house would be a welcome, comfortable environment. Help us to be hospitable toward everyone. Help us to be focused on the people, to minister and love those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment