Friday, February 18, 2011

The Redemption of My Physical Body: part thirteen

I was talking to my husband about my last post. I ended up reading it to him and then realized all the mistakes in it. I am not an editor. I'm a writer. I hate editing and going back over. So I apologize and ask that you please forgive me in this and other posts.

I don't think I finished everything I wanted to say about exercise. What I have learned is that I need to LISTEN to my body. If I am sick (like I am now) or recovering from surgery (like after Levi was born) or something like that I need to rest. My body needs that energy to repair itself. If I am feeling sluggish and lazy, it probably means I need to get out for a walk. It doesn't have to be hardcore running and P90X and all that jazz, just sometimes needs a little lift. Something just to get my body moving. If I feel like I could get out for a run, then I will run. If I feel like I could have a big huge workout, because I have been faithful with my smaller exercise, then that is okay. But I don't have time or energy to work out for several hours a day, and my body is just not in that place.

Walking has also helped my struggle with depression.

Something about being outside, thinking, talking to God, breathing, going as slow or as fast as I feel like is just good for my soul. My brain needs it, my body needs it. I try to get some kind of exercise at least four days a week. Sometimes it will be six days a week (I rarely exercise on Sundays because of my responsibilities at church). I also count a hard day of housework as exercise. If I am doing loads of laundry and vacuuming, washing dishes, fixing dinner and chasing after Levi, then that is plenty of exercise for that day. This has been especially the case with the winter months when it's just not feasible to go out walking in the weather with a little one. I'm looking forward to the summer and the long walks with Levi. He has been a huge encouragement to me. Last summer every time he saw me getting ready and heading to the door he would squeal with delight. Our walks were his favorite time of day. I feel like God used him in my redemption of my body, and that is just one of the ways.

My encouragement to you, if you are stressed and procrastinating, I want to encourage you to just turn off the TV, put on your tennis shoes (you don't even have to change out of your jeans or skirt or whatever) and go for a walk around the block. I say this because I WISH I HAD DONE THIS. So many times I would procrastinate doing laundry, doing homework or whatever by watching TV or something like that. If you don't feel like you can do it, you can for sure go for a stroll. It doesn't have to be high intensity or anything like that, but you will be burning calories, getting fresh air, exercising your heart, freeing your mind, talking to God (complaining to Him if you must, then asking Him to change your heart) :) It's the best kind of procrastination you will ever do. :)

Another thing, with the summer months approaching and the extreme heat, I would usually leave my house at about 7 in the morning, and I was able to walk pretty much the whole summer. I would come home, put Levi down for his nap and then shower. It was the best way, after my time with the Lord at 6, to start my day.

I hope you all are encouraged! Jess, thanks for asking if I would post. I wouldn't have if you hadn't asked. :) This one is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment